elderly man reviewing assets not eligible for probate

Do all assets go through probate?

If your loved one’s estate plan included a will, it will need to go through probate court for its contents to disburse. Yet, they may have excluded certain assets that they held from their will. Some omissions may be accidental. … Read More

Paying off debt of loved one after deceased in California

How Are Debts Handled After a Loved One’s Death?

Categorizing and paying a loved one’s debts during probate The majority of people accumulate some debts during their lifetimes. Ideally, individuals would pay off their outstanding balances and eventually reach a point where they no longer have debt. However, if … Read More

Michael Oher

Not Your Typical Conservatorship

You have most likely heard about the controversy and lawsuit involving conservatorship by former NFL football player Michael Oher against the Tuohy family that took him in as a youth. Oher’s story was made famous by the movie starring Sandra … Read More

inheriting your parent's house matthew yu law

Inheriting Your Parent’s House

3 Criteria for Deciding Whether You Should Sell or Keep Your Parent’s House To sell or not to sell, that is the question. When you’re inheriting your parent’s house, a wave of emotions may unexpectedly wash over you. Perhaps this … Read More

Common estate planning mistakes

3 Common Estate Planning Mistakes

Everyone has a Bucket List These Days Everyone has a bucket list these days. It’s exhilarating to plan memorable, monumental activities to do before you ‘kick the bucket’. Of course, few Californians actually put estate planning on their bucket list: … Read More